In this blog, we’ll explore various ways to keep fit over the Christmas period, ensuring you step into the New Year feeling great!
The festive season is a time of joy, celebration, and, let’s be honest, a bit of indulgence.
While it’s perfectly fine to enjoy the seasonal treats and relaxation, staying active and maintaining fitness can be a challenge.
However, with a few simple strategies and exercises, you can enjoy the festivities without compromising your health and fitness.
Here’s some helpful tips to keep in mind:
Planning Workouts in Advance:
Planning is crucial when it comes to maintaining fitness – treat your workout sessions as essential appointments.
Schedule them in advance and aim to stick to them. Short, high-intensity workouts can be especially effective when time is limited. These sessions not only save time but also ensure you’re still getting a good workout.
Flexibility and Adjusting Your Routine:
It might sound contradictory, but the holiday season often brings unexpected plans and changes to your routine. Embrace flexibility!
If you can’t make it to the gym, switch to home workouts or outdoor activities.
Transform holiday traditions into active ones, like a family walk after dinner. If you’re travelling, try bodyweight exercises, running, or yoga – these can be done almost anywhere and are a great substitute workout if necessary.
Your Keep Fit Christmas Plan:
It’s easier than you might think to keep fit at home. Here’s a simple exercise plan you can follow:
A fantastic exercise for your legs and glutes.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, stretch your arms out in front of you, and slowly bend your knees as if sitting back into a chair.
- Keep your chest up and back straight.
- Aim for 3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.
This exercise is great for leg and core strength.
- Step forward with one leg, lowering your hips until both knees are bent at about a 90-degree angle.
- Make sure your front knee is directly above your ankle.
- Push back up and switch legs.
- Do 3 sets of 10 lunges on each leg.
The plank is excellent for core stability.
- Lie face down, then lift yourself up onto your elbows and toes, keeping your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to a minute.
- As you get stronger, increase your time.
An exercise that’s ideal for upper body strength.
- Start in a plank position, but on your hands rather than elbows.
- Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.
- Push yourself back up to the starting position.
- Aim for 3 sets of 10 push-ups.
Targets your glutes and lower back.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips, and shoulders form a straight line.
- Hold for a couple of seconds, then lower back down.
- Do 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
Staying Active Outdoors:
The crisp winter air is refreshing and invigorating. Wrap up warm and head out for a walk or jog.
Places like Leverhulme Park or the West Pennine Moors offer beautiful landscapes to explore.
These outings are not only good for your physical health but also for your mental well-being.
Festive Fun with Family:
Incorporate physical activities into your family gatherings.
Outdoor games, festive dancing, or even a friendly competition can be great fun and keep everyone active.
Mindful Eating and Hydration:
Amidst the festive feasting, mindful eating is key. Enjoy your favourite treats but in moderation.
Balance indulgent meals with plenty of fruits and vegetables to maintain vitamin and energy levels.
Don’t forget to stay hydrated. Aim for 6-8 glasses of water daily to keep your body functioning optimally.
Posture and Relaxation:
With long hours spent indoors, be mindful of your posture.
Take regular breaks to stretch, especially if you’re sitting for extended periods.
Relaxation is also essential; consider yoga or meditation to unwind.
Rest and Recovery:
Remember, rest is just as important as activity. Ensure you’re getting enough sleep and taking time to relax and recover.
This will keep you energised and ready for all the festive activities.
Staying fit over the festive season is all about balance. By incorporating these tips and exercises into your daily routine, you can enjoy all the joys of Christmas while keeping your health and fitness in check.
December Offers at T4 Physio:
As we embrace the festive spirit, we’re excited to offer you special deals to enhance your health and wellness:
- The B2L (Back to Life) Package: Get back to your best self with our B2L Package, now available for purchase in 4 easy instalments.
- Massage Gift Vouchers: Need to get a last minute present? This is the perfect gift for relaxation and rejuvenation this Christmas.
- 10% Off 2024 Packages: Start planning for a healthier 2024 with a special discount on all of our packages.
Our team is ready to help you choose the best path to a healthy, active lifestyle this festive season and beyond.
Speak To An Expert Physiotherapist For Free
Want more tailored advice on how to keep fit over the Christmas period? Or are you concerned about a pain that just won’t go away? Our expert physiotherapists are here to help – and it’s completely free.
We will listen to your story, assess your situation, and provide personalised advice and recommendations to help you.
So, don’t wait – take advantage of this opportunity to speak with a specialist and start your journey to a fitter, pain-free life today.
More Essential Keep Fit Content
Get a copy of my popular book on Amazon – The Secrets To Ageing Well & Staying Active
Read my blog – 10 Great Ways To Get Physical During Menopause